Baking completely sugar free is possible and even easy. Read how to turn the Finnish iconic mocha bars, mokkapala, in a totally sugar free sweet treat. This post is written in cooperation with South-Korean Chosun TV.
포스트 마지막에 무설탕 브라우니 만드는 법 한글 버전이 있습니다
The easiest way to bake sugar free is to replace the sugar with a nonsugar substitute. I baked the mocha bars with xylitol, birch sugar, which is a sugar alcohol. Despite its name, it's no sugar nor alcohol.
You can bake almost anything with xylitol. Often the first thought of it is, that it tastes like spearmint chewing gum or toothpaste, but it doesn't. It's just sweet with a slightly cool aftertaste you can't really taste in anything you use it for. The fresh taste of toothpaste comes from the spearmint actually, not from the sweetener.
Xylitol is birch sugar
The prettier name for xylitol is birch sugar. The origins of xylitol are in birch and corn cobs, that's the reason for the name. Xylitol is industrially produced from a hardwood fiber called xylan. Despite its industrial nature, xylitol is naturally found in a lot of berries, fruits and mushrooms.
Birch sugar has half of the calories of table sugar and it doesn't contain any fructose. The human digestion can not fully break it and therefore it might have laxative effects if consumed in big quantities.
However, xylitol is highly poisonous to dogs! Make sure you never ever give anything containing xylitol to your dog and keep all the products containing it, out of the reach of your pets, including that toothpaste. Xylitol can kill a dog even in small amounts.
Xylitol is best known for its dental health benefits. All the Finnish kids eat xylitol after every meal, also in daycare.
Baking with Xylitol
- Xylitol is as sweet as sugar so it can directly replace sugar
- Xylitol doesn't wake up yeast so it doesn't work in yeast doughs
- Xylitol doesn't caramelize
- Xylitol can cause stomach aches and diarrhea if used in large quantities
- Xylitol crystallizes easier than sugar
Read also: Vegan Mocha Squares
Sugar-free Mocha Bars
- 300 ml coffee
- 200 g butter
- 3 eggs
- 500 ml wheat flour
- 50 ml cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150 ml xylitol
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F.
- Make the coffee. You can use hot water and instant coffee, too.
- Melt the butter and combine with the hot coffee. Let to cool enough you add the eggs without them to cook.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix them with butter, <g class="gr_ gr_2882 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="2882" data-gr-id="2882">coffee</g> and eggs.
- Line an oven tray or pan with parchment paper and pour the mocha bar dough in it.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Make powder sugar of the xylitol in a blender. Dust the xylitol powder on slightly cooled mocha bars and enjoy!
I didn't do the traditional chocolate icing because of the amount of icing sugar, or in this case xylitol, the icing requires. First of all it's way too sweet for a sugar free life style and it might cause some serious stomach aches if you put that much of xylitol on your cake. 🙂
Pin the recipe for later:
2 ts 베이킹파우더
150ml 자일리톨 설탕
1.오븐을 180도 예열한다.
2.커피를 내린다(인스턴트커피도 가능).
3.버터를 녹여 뜨거운 커피와 섞는 후 식힌다(계란을 섞어도 익지 않을정도).
4.버터 섞은 커피가 식으면 계란을 넣어 잘 섞는다.
5.밀가루,코코아가루,베이킹 파우더, 자일리톨 설탕을 4에 넣어 잘 섞는다.
6.베이킹 팬에 유산지를 깔고 반죽을 붓는다.
7. 약 40분간 오븐에서 굽는다.
8. 블렌더에 자일리톨 설탕을 넣고 갈아 슈거파우더를 만든다.
9. 오븐에서 꺼낸 브라우니를 적당히 식힌 후 자일리톨 슈거파우더를 뿌린 후 커피와 함께 즐긴다!