Want to bake something amazingly delicious? Try these peanut butter mocha squares! They are not just super yum but also gluten free, refined sugar free, vegan and healthy.
Don’t you just love the good old mocha squares? Just that they are full of sugar! I developed this refined sugar free version of them, and it turned out better that I could have ever imagined. Seriously, these are one of the best things I have ever baked, and I bake a lot!
And yes folks, you can do all the mixing just with a fork! Even though I used a hand mixer to puree the apples and dates that give the squares their sweetness and moist texture. Dates and apples are cooked together and pureed before adding them to the dough. Just cut the dates in smaller pieces and put them in the pot to boil about five minutes before you add the apple cubes if a fork is a weapon you choose.
You can't bake anything with JUST a fork, can you? No, other stuff you'll need for baking the peanut butter mocha squares are a small pot, small mixing bowl to combine the flours, and an oven pan.
These peanut butter mocha squares are special also because I participate the monthly peanut butter bash for the first time with them. A group of bloggers pair peanut butter with another ingredient and create delicious recipes.
This time we paired peanut butter with coffee.
Please check the recipes of the other bloggers, too:
Mocha No Bake Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
Espresso Brownies with Peanut Butter Caramel Sauce from Simply Made Recipes
Peanut Butter and Coffee Granola from Bake Then Eat
Coffee Peanut Butter Bars from Kleinworth & Co.
If you love peanut butter as much as I do, you should definitely join The Peanut Butter Recipe Box Facebook group to get inspired of peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Mocha Squares
- 2 apples 300 g
- 15 Medjool dates
- 1 cup coffee
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup whole grain rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup coffee
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tbsp cup peanut butter
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 2-4 tbsp maple syrup
- Peel the apples and remove the seeds. Cut into cubes and put in a pan with 2 tbsp of water. Place the pan on a stove on medium heat.
- Remove the stones from the dates and add them to the pot with the apples.
- Cook until apples are soft.
- Remove the pot from the stove, add coffee and peanut butter.
- Sauté with a hand blender. Be careful not to blend it too much, or it splits.
- Mix the two different flours together with the baking powder.
- Add the flour mix into the sautéed ingredients.
- Spread the dough in an oven pan lined with greaseproof paper.
- Bake at 180 C / 375 F for 40 minutes.
- Lift the bake from the oven pan onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Measure the icing ingredients into a bowl and mix until they are well combined. Let to cool a little. Ideally, both the cake and the icing should be a little over the room temperature when the icing is spread on the cake.
- Spread the icing over the cake and let to set before cutting into squares.
Pin the recipe for later: