Boil your own sugar free mulled wine that fills your house with it’s amazing seasonal scent. Berries, cinnamon, ginger cloves.. And red wine of course!
Usually mulled wine is loaded with sugar but you can easily make it with just a little honey or maple syrup or have it completely added sugar free.
I start drinking mulled wine occasionally already early October and when we get to the December it substitutes my evening chamomile. The Christmas, I spend a mulled wine mug practically clued to my hand. And no, I am not drinking like a bottle of red wine every night, you can perfectly well make the mulled wine with out any wine or spirits.
How to make mulled wine?
I make mulled wine with unsweetened cold pressed berry juices. Any berry juice goes well to it and juices such as black currant or blueberry are the classics (at least in Scandinavia they are). I love it made with cranberry juice that is really tart or with naturally very sweet pomegranate juice.
Mulled wine is really easy to make, you just boil the chosen juice with spices for half an hour and then let it cool. Once it’s at room temperature, sieve it and add hot water or red wine and sweeten with honey to taste.
Berry juices that you could use:
Related recipe: Turmeric Ginger Tea with Lemon
Related recipe: Vegan Christmas Cake
- 0,5 l unsweetened cold pressed berry juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 inch piece of ginger sliced
- 5 whole cardamoms cut open
- 5 gloves
- honey or maple syrup to taste
- Put all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Let to boil, covered with a lid, for a couple of minutes, then simmer it for half an hour.
- Turn off the stove and let the mulled wine cool to room temperature.
- Use 1 part spicy juice and 2 parts hot water or red wine and sweeten with honey or maple syrup or with xylitol for a sugar-free option.
Pin the recipe for later: