We go towards Christmas yet with an other delicious hearty cake! Gluten free date cake is baked with almond flour and it is naturally sweetened using the dates only. This cake is a Christmas must do for me and something I wish to enjoy with my cardamom coffee in the mornings. The dark color of the cake actually comes from coffee.
Date cake recipes usually call for about a cup of dark sugar but the dates are naturally very sweet, app. to 80 % of dates are sugars. Therefore it feels almost a little stupid to add sugar to a cake already so sweet. I challenge you all to try this and encourage you to choose dates as a sweetening for other bakes too.
Where dates and chocolate are best friends for ever, also dates and coffee come along very well. If you and coffee don’t, then just replace it with water. I have even used orange juice and it turned out really nice too.
Leave a comment and tell me what is you favorite Christmas bake. If you try the date cake I would really love you to share a photo of it on Instagram #queenofdelicious.
Gluten Free Date Cake Recipe
250 g dried pitted dates
2,5 dl coffee
200 g butter
1 dl yoghurt
3,5 dl almond flour
1 dl potato starch
1 tbsp ceylon cinnamon
0,5 tbsp ground cardamom
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease a cake form.
- Chop the dates into a pot and add the coffee. Bring to boil and let simmer until the dates are soft and falls apart when mixing.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl while the dates are softening.
- Add the butter and stir with a fork until a creamy mixture forms.
- Add yoghurt and eggs and mix well.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and pour the batter in the cake form.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes and let cool well before cutting.