The ingredient of the month, beetroot, is a great baking ingredient too, along all the savoury goodnesses. There is enough of reason to do some baking this weekend, I say. Beetroot chocolate muffins are a bit time consuming because of the long cooking time of the beets, but I’ll reveal you a secret how to cut the cooking time with an hour.
Muffins are one of my favourite bakings because they are so easy and fast to make and versatile, the taste variations here are endless. Like beetroots and chocolate together, yum! Making muffins usually requires only mixing first the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together in separated bowls and then combining the mixtures together. It’ll take like 3 minutes and all you need are two bowls and a fork. Fork, my favourite kitchen gadget, suitable almost for everything. Everybody has a fork.
Making beetroot chocolate muffins will take way more time because of the long cooking time of the beets. Even a smallish beet may take an hour to be soft enough for pureeing. That’s way any time you make any puree, make a big batch an freeze the rest you won’t need at that time. Or, here comes the secret, buy the beets already pureed! Just make sure the puree contains just beets and no preservatives or other additives. Oh the joy of the ready pureed root vegetables, they have saved a lot of week night meals in my household.
- Buy the puree ready made
- Brush the beets clean under running water. Cook them whole in a plenty of water until they are soft. Test the softness with a fork (see, fork, here too). Peel the beets when they are still warm, better if they are still hot. Puree the beets with a hand blender or in a blender.
If you like the recipe I would be extremely grate full if you shared it! If you try the muffins, please come back to tell me how you liked them.
And don’t forget to share an image of your bakings #QueenOfDelicious.
Beetroot Chocolate Muffins Recipe
3 dl oat flour
1/2 dl raw cacao powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
(1/2 dl cacao nibs)
3 dl beetroot puree
1 1/2 dl coconut palm sugar
1 dl coconut oil (melted) or olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 (celsius) degrees. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with muffin papers.
- Mix together oat flour, raw cacao powder, soda and baking powder. And the cacao nibs if you are using them.
- In an other bowl, mix together beetroot puree, coconut sugar and oil. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Pour the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients and combine well.
- Divide the dough evenly in the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.