Delicious vegan apple raspberry layer cake is also gluten free and free from refined sugar.
If you are not familiar with vegan baking yet, start with easy recipes like this one that doesn’t require any special ingredients and deep knowledge on how they work together. My favourite kitchen tool – fork – works miracles helping you to bake this cake so no special kitchen tools are needed either (except for the coconut whipped cream you will need an electric mixer).
This vegan layer cake can be baked without any added sugar by replacing 100 ml of the apple sauce with one banana to give it some extra sweetness.
The filling is made with coconut whipped cream and raspberries and vanilla. Coconut is quite sweet so no need to add any sweetener to the filling. Coconut makes the cake really rich too.
I always bake the cake in three 8 inch tins but you can totally use just one tin and cut the cooled cake in three. Please note that if you using only one tin you need to adjust the cooking time, it will take longer to bake.
No matter how many tins or layers you will make, bake the cake the day before serving. Let the cake cool completely and then wrap it in cling film or pack in plastic freezer bag and store in fridge over night. If you are making one cake that you will cut in three, cut the cake only right before filling it the next day.
Also, put the coconut milk cans in fridge the night before. The coconut cream has to be chilled and firm that in can be whipped in a fluffy coconut whipped cream.
Vegan Apple Raspberry Layer Cake
- 350 ml apple puree
- 350 ml almond milk
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 75 ml maple syrup
- 150 ml olive oil
- 700 ml gluten-free flour mix or whole wheat spelt flour
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup raspberries
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 375 F.
- Grease three 8 inch cake tins with vegetable oil and cover the bottoms with greaseproof baking paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine together apple puree, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and olive oil.
- In another bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Combine the dry ingredient into the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the cake dough in tins, even the surfaces and bake for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool on a cooling rack and then pack in a freezer bag or wrap in a cling film and keep in the fridge overnight.
- Prepare the coconut whipped cream with raspberries just before filling the cake.
- Scoop the hardened coconut milk out from the cans (don’t use any of the liquid) and whip with an electric mixer.
- Mash the raspberries a little with a fork and add them together with the vanilla powder in the coconut whipped cream and mix well.
- Spread the filling on the cakes and pile the cake. Keep the cake in the fridge until it's served.
Pin the recipe for later: