Sugar Free and Gluten Free Apple Tart
Lovely and easy sugar-free and gluten-free apple tart – my granny’s recipe!
NOTE. We have updated the recipe on September 4, 2021. This version replaces the previous post located at this URL.
This recipe is my grandma’s. She has probably taken it from some cookbook or magazine of her time. That would be the ’50’s or ’60’s.
Though my grandmother had never heard of erythritol, it replaces sugar in this great recipe.
Grandma barely understood anything from gluten either, but here we have her tart all gluten-free.
Obviously, I had to make a few tweaks to the original recipe, but I stayed as true to it as possible.
Grandma passed away years ago, but her legacy lives on in memories and her numerous wonderful recipes.
Enough with the granny now!
For the pie you need:
- Gluten-free flour blend – you can use whatever gluten-free flour or flour mixture, but something you can use 1:1 instead of wheat is the safest choice.
- Butter – substitute butter with a vegan shortening for vegan pie.
- Erythritol – it’s a natural sugar-free sweetener. You can replace erythritol with your favorite sugar-free sweetener. If you change the sweetener, check the dosage on the package.
- Milk, plant-based milk works just as well to bake the pie vegan.
- One egg, you can also leave it out to make a vegan or egg-free tart.
- Cinnamon and cardamom, you can’t bake a proper apple pie without them. Period.
- Baking powder.
- Apples – I would say any apple variety is good, but tart apples are always perfect for a pie.
Remove the seed pods from the apples with an apple drill, split them in half, and slice them thinly. You can arrange the slices to give a lovely pattern to the tart.
You absolutely don’t have to make decorations with apple slices or even slice the apples. Cut the apples into wedges or cubes. The taste will remain the same regardless of the shape of the apples on the tart.
I wouldn’t prepare this tart ahead but serve it fresh from the oven, even still warm. It tastes especially good with vanilla custard or ice cream.
Sugar-free and Gluten-free Apple Tart
- 200 grams gluten-free flour blend
- 65 grams erytritol
- 100 grams butter
- 150 ml milk
- 1 egg
- teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
- 800 grams apples
- Preheat your oven to 200 Celsius / 375 Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter.
- Add the milk into the butter and mix. Then beat in a egg and the erythritol.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and cardamom with a whisk.
- Fold the flour mix into the butter mix.
- Spread the batter into a tart thin with the help of a spatula.
- Cut the apples in thin slices or in wedges and arrange on the batter.
- Sieve the cinnamon on the apples.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
This is not gluten free
Can I substitute GF flour for these flours? The one I have already has xanthan gum in it. Thanks!
Any GF blend should work. Use a lot of apples!