Simple instructions on how to bake a delicious sugar free and gluten free apple pie. This pie is like a butter biscuit topped with apples and cinnamon, super yum!
It almost feels a little stupid to start all the recipes repeating the exact same words every time and telling you how easy and fast this is to bake but that is my thing! I want to show how you too can make (almost) sugar-free yet super delicious treats in no time in your home kitchen.
I sweetened the crust with just 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. If you have been without sugar already for a while, you might want to use just one spoonful of syrup or leave it out completely. For my taste, 2 spoons are already too much. You could also replace the maple syrup with erythritol. It’s not sugar so you can use a little more of it if you for some reason need a sweeter pie.
For a gluten free pie, use buckwheat or gluten free oat flour. Also, spelt or even whole grain wheat can be used. Spelt and apples are a nice match. I used oat flour for this pie.
This pie is not a moist one but more like a butter biscuit topped with fruit. I love it like this. And who wouldn’t love butter biscuits? If you wish to have a more moist pie put a thick layer of apple sauce under apple slices. It makes the pie super fruity but also gives the option to use more spices like cardamom and cinnamon or lemon zest.
- 125 grams (1 stick) butter
- 1 ⅔ cups flour - oat, buckwheat, spelt or whole wheat
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-4 apples, depending on their size
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- (1 tsp coconut sugar)
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit.
- Measure the butter and the flour in a food processor. Run to a floury consistency.
- Add the egg and the maple syrup and mix again until everything is well combined.
- Press the pie crust dough in a pie pan with wet fingers and put it a fridge to rest while you prepare the apples.
- Remove the seeds and cut the apples into thin slices.
- Arrange the apple slices on the pie crust. Dust with cinnamon (and coconut sugar if you use it).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Pin the recipe for later: