Simple instructions on how to bake a delicious sugar free and gluten free apple pie. This pie is like a butter biscuit topped with apples and cinnamon, super yum!
It almost feels a little stupid to start all the recipes repeating the exact same words every time and telling you how easy and fast this is to bake but that is my thing! I want to show how you too can make (almost) sugar-free yet super delicious treats in no time in your home kitchen.
I sweetened the crust with just 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. If you have been without sugar already for a while, you might want to use just one spoonful of syrup or leave it out completely. For my taste, 2 spoons are already too much. You could also replace the maple syrup with erythritol. It’s not sugar so you can use a little more of it if you for some reason need a sweeter pie.
For a gluten free pie, use buckwheat or gluten free oat flour. Also, spelt or even whole grain wheat can be used. Spelt and apples are a nice match. I used oat flour for this pie.
This pie is not a moist one but more like a butter biscuit topped with fruit. I love it like this. And who wouldn’t love butter biscuits? If you wish to have a more moist pie put a thick layer of apple sauce under apple slices. It makes the pie super fruity but also gives the option to use more spices like cardamom and cinnamon or lemon zest.
Sugar-free and Gluten Free Apple Pie
- 125 grams 1 stick butter
- 1 ⅔ cups flour - oat buckwheat, spelt or whole wheat
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-4 apples depending on their size
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius / 350 Fahrenheit.
- Measure the butter and the flour in a food processor. Run to a floury consistency.
- Add the egg and the maple syrup and mix again until everything is well combined.
- Press the pie crust dough in a pie pan with wet fingers and put it a fridge to rest while you prepare the apples.
- Remove the seeds and cut the apples into thin slices.
- Arrange the apple slices on the pie crust. Dust with cinnamon (and coconut sugar if you use it).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Pin the recipe for later: