Carrot cake is one of the finest cakes existing on earth. A lovely, moist and spicy cake topped with cashew lemon frosting is just irresistible.
Grain free and vegan carrot cake could be called health food as it’s also naturally sweetened with fruit.
I added maple syrup to the recipe for those who are in doubt the cake would taste sweet without any added sugar. It’s totally optional though, and I never add it (or any other sweeteners) in banana based cakes.
I think the cake tastes the best the next day and after resting in a fridge overnight, it can be cut in half and filled too with the frosting. If you want to frost the cake fresh, there’s enough of frosting to cover the whole thing abundantly.
There are two crucial things to bake a perfect grain-free vegan cake:
- let the cake to cool in the cake tin for about 10 minutes before removing the tin
- let the cake to cool on a cooling rack before cutting it completely
Ignore one or both of the above, and you’ll have a sweet mess on your kitchen table.
You also want to line the cake tin’s bottom with greaseproof paper. Otherwise, it will be quite difficult to get it out from the tin. Believe me. I have a lot of experience on that. 😀
More grain-free cakes: Grain-free Chocolate Cake with Purple Sweet Potato Frosting
- 1 ¼ cup of grated carrot, packed
- 2 chia or flax eggs
- 2 very ripe bananas
- (¼ cup maple syrup)
- 1 ¼ cup almond flour
- ¾ cup coarsely ground almonds
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Ceylon cinnamon
- ¾ dl coconut butter
- juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼-½ cup hot water
- Mix the grated carrots with the chia eggs. Peel and mash the bananas and mix the banana pure (and maple syrup) into the carrots.
- Mix all the dry ingredients and combine them with the carrots.
- Pour the cake batter into a cake tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 40-50 minutes in 180 C/ 375 F. Ovens are different, have a close look at the cake at the end of the baking time.
- Let the cake to cool for ten minutes in the tin before removing it.
- Le to cool on a cooling rack.
- Soak the cashew in hot water for half an hour. Drain and rinse.
- Measure all the ingredients apart from the water in a blender.
- Blend until silky and smooth. Add the water a spoonful at a time until the frosting has the right consistency, it should be very thick and yet spreadable.
Pin the recipe for later: