Blood orange chicken, or simply orange chicken as the dish doesn't require red oranges to be tasty, is one of my weeknight favourites as it's super simple to make and all the preparations can be done even the evening before.
In all it's simplicity there is nothing else to do than mixing the marinade ingredients in the morning before leaving for work, or even the evening before, and at the dinner putting the chicken in an oven for 30 minutes. In the mean time you can prepare the sides and you will still have time for doing what ever you want. At this point of cooking I often go to watch children's programs on TV with my kids and take a small nap. 🙂
Read also: Sweet Potato Orange Salad
Blood Orange Chicken Recipe
- 8 chicken fillets
- 0,5 dl soy sauce
- 1 tbsp coarse mustard
- (1 tbsp honey)
- 1 orange juiced
- fresh rosemary
- 1 orange sliced
- Measure soy sauce, mustard, honey and the juice of one orange in a zip lock bag. Mix well with a spoon.
- Add the chicken fillets and close the bag well. Turn the bag for a couple of times to get the marinade all over the fillets.
- Place the marinade bag in the fridge for at least 8 hours. If possible, flip the bag once during the marinading.
- Heat the oven to 200 C.
- Move the chicken fillets from the marinade to an oven pan. There is no need to tap them dry or drain.
- Spread the rosemary leaves on the fillets and place one orange slice on each fillet.
- Roast in the oven for app. 30 minutes.
Serve with quinoa, rice, potatoes, salad.
TIPS: The honey is optional if you want to keep the dish as sugar free as possible but it sure goes well with mustard and rosemary.
The chicken fillets should be taken to room temperature half an hour before putting them in the oven, but if you don't have the time, just skip that.
Thinking about what to cook tonight gives you a headache? Download a free weekly menu planner!