Start the summer mornings with gluten and refined sugar free rhubarb granola breakfast bake. Just add a splash of oat milk to this one pot vegan breakfast and serve still warm.
Juicy bits of delicious rhubarb covered with healthy gluten free granola, oh yum. This is not like a traditional crumble, not at all. The granola on top of the rhubarb is slightly crunchy but still loose like a perfect granola is. If you find one pot dinners to be week night savers you will love this one pot breakfast!
Rhubarb was one of the things I thought I couldn’t enjoy anymore after leaving white sugar. I could obviously add a bottle of maple syrup to all my rhubarb dishes but going sugar-free for me doesn’t mean just substituting refined sugars with natural products but actually living with a lot less of sweeteners and sweets.
The best thing about reducing sugar in my diet hasn’t been having more energy, having better-looking skin or losing a pound or two but tasting the real flavors of all the wonderful ingredients without a need to add sweeteners to cut the acidity or to add flavor.
This goes with rhubarb too, I just don’t need to sweeten them anymore! Ok, the bake has a little coconut sugar to go with the granola but you can totally leave the sugar out of it or cut the amount of it in half.
Rhubarb Granola Breakfast Bake Recipe
- 300 g rhubarb (about three stalks)
- 65 ml / 1/4 cup + 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 50 ml / 3 tsb+1 tsp coconut oil
- 2 dl / 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp gluten free oat meal
- 3 tbsp coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 350 °F.
- Take a half tsp of the coconut oil and grease a large ramekin, oven pan or pie pan (app. 20cm/8in) with it.
- Wash the rhubarb, peel the stalks and cut them in app. 2,5-3 cm/1 in long pieces. Place the rhubarb evenly in the bottom of the ramekin.
- Melt the rest of the coconut oil and add the oats and both flakes. Mix well to cover all the meal with sugary oil. Cover the rhubarbs with the mixture.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until coconut and almond flakes have a beautiful golden colour. Keep a close eye on the bake at the and of bakinf, the flakes burn easily.
- Serve still warm with oat or almond milk.