Are you trying to lighten your dishes in January? I guess all of us are in some level, even without truly realizing it as all the media is just full of detox plans and light eating tips in these after holiday days. Beetroot and broccoli salad is a perfect dish for light purposes and even if you don’t have any weight agenda in January, this salad will do good things for you. Beets are always a perfect addition to wintery dishes and grapefruits are in season right now.
Does it ever happen to you, that the one time you put some food on your kids’ plates first, before you went to shoot yours, after a couple of minutes the oldest one comes to tell you that the youngest one has fallen in sleep with her head on her plate? Not very often to me either, I guess mostly because my family is used to wait for their food and eat it cold after mom has got her perfect shot. This time I served the kids pasta and made salad just for my self. Beetroots are not their favorite vegetable. I usually do the same food for everyone even though I know the children will not eat it, I think they should learn to taste everything and if I just serve them pasta that’s what they will eat for the rest of their lives and continue to be picky. It’s also so weird how kids eat everything you give them until they are about 2,5 years old and then they just stop for about two years. When they reach the age of 4,5 they will eat again everything they used to have when they were really small.
Back to the photo shoot. As I had barely started to style the photo and the plate was still missing all the garnish, I first thought I just don’t mind, some pasta under her forehead is soft and warming, that she’ll be fine there sleeping at the table. But not to traumatize my oldest kids (any more) I decided just to snap a quick photos of the salad before carrying the baby to her bed.
If you are a food blogger I would love to know is everything always going smoothly in your home studio? Or is it more like ‘only the fast survive’ as in mine.
If you like the recipe, please hit SHARE in the end of the post!
Beetroot and Broccoli Salad with Red Grapefruit Recipe
4 small beetroots (400 g)
1 small broccoli
2 red grapefruits
1 dl cashews
1 dl dark olives
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (celcius).
- Brush the beetroots under running water, punch small holes to them with a fork and wrap them in foil. Put the beet wraps in the oven for about an hour or until they are roasted soft.
- Clean the broccoli and divide it to small flowers. Cook the broccoli in boiling water for three minutes. Drain.
- Roast the cashews on a hot and dry pan until they are golden brown.
- Peal the grapefruits with a knife and cut into wedges.
- Cut the roasted beetroots in wedges.
- Put all the salad ingredients on a serving plate and garnish with lemon oil, salt and pepper.